Diet for Hypothyroidism
When suffering from hypothyroidism you have to be very careful about what you eat. The wrong things can aggravate your condition but the right thing can tackle the symptoms and help regulate the thyroid levels. A proper diet though effective also has to be supported with a healthy lifestyle for better results. In this blog we will be discussing the herbs, fruits, vegetables and meat that you can consume while suffering from hypothyroidism.
We advise you that before starting any home based diet consult your doctor and check for allergies. Also ask for the right quantity for your body. The effects will differ depending upon the stage of your disease and your age.
We know that in hypothyroidism your head feels foggy and you are often sad. But this doesn’t mean that you pamper your body with a lot of sugar and caffeine. Your body in hypothyroidism is struggling with digestion, mental fatigue and iodine deficiency. So you have to help your body cope up with it.
Here is a quick list of things that will serve as your armour that will protect your body.
Protein will help you maintain the thyroid level. It will also help you deal with the fatigue and weight. To up your protein content the following foods will help you.
- Moth beans
- Kidney beans
Omega 3 will help you tackle the decreasing immunity. It will also help the brain with its fogginess.
- Brazil Nut (it helps in thyroid stimulation)
- Walnuts (it also helps with the body iodine content)
Minerals like potassium, Zinc and Magnesium can help you greatly in the battle with your illness. Ginger is one such herb that has a high content of these minerals. It can be eaten raw or you can even prepare a delicious cup of ginger tea.
4. Coconut Oil
Medium chain fatty acid is what coconut will help you with. Two spoons of coconut oil every day will boost your metabolism and help regulate the thyroid level.
5. Vegetables and Fruits
Of course you won’t be living on nuts, pulses and oil. You need vegetables and fruits to have a filling diet. However, you will have to be choosy about them. Your body’s immune system takes a major hit during hypothyroidism, to boost it up you need antioxidants. The fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants are as follows
- All the Berries(blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries )
- Broccoli (not too much, it can reduce the level of thyroid)
Home Based Remedies:
- Use evening primrose oil which has anti-inflammatory effect and relieves Hair loss and dry skin associated with hypothyroidism
- Consume two spoon raw virgin coconut oil daily to regulate immunity and increase food fat in your body
- Use pink rock salt which is rich in iodine and helps to reduce the bloating.
- Two spoons of coriander seeds soaked overnight can be consumed the morning to regulate thyroid hormones.
Word of Caution — Usage of home remedies is not generalised! Please consult a doctor or nutritionist for consuming any of the above